Adding Essay Notes: Adding Thesis Footnotes
The footnotes are usually placed at bottom position of the page. An essay writer uses footnotes to reference as well as commenting on the part on the text that is usually above it. The moment the reader comes across any footnote form the main text of the paper, he or she looks down to verify if there is a certain comment. This improves the convenience of the reader as he or she goes through your paper.
Mostly the students are asked footnotes or the endnotes in their papers. Some of the citation styles require the students to make parenthetic references which require the date and the author in the body of the work. Mostly in the academic field, the footnotes are used to refer to the relevant sources. The footnote should be inserted promptly at the end of the sentence. It also advisable to omit at least two spaces after the first footnote before beginning the sentence that follows. Moreover at some instances, the footnotes are placed at the middle of the sentence for clarity. The moment one sentence has many footnotes it should be inserted at the end of the phrase that is relevant. It should be placed mostly after a comma as well as other punctuation marks. The style of the footnotes must be used consistently throughout the thesis. Furthermore, the word can also change the footnotes to endnotes. The following are the guidelines that should be followed when coming up with the footnotes:
- The content in footnotes is governed by style manuals (APA, MLA,
- Font Arial 10pt.
- Single-spaced with spacing between entries.
- Each footnote must consist of a single paragraph.
- When inserting footnotes, use Word’s auto-numbering feature.
Footnotes are preferable to endnotes and may: be numbered sequentially throughout the document (the template is designed to do this), be numbered throughout each chapter or part or appear at the bottom of the page, at the end of the chapter, or at the end of the entire text. Footnotes are helpful to your reader in that they clarify information as they read through your research paper or school essay. It is important to use footnotes correctly so that they are purely useful and do not become distracting.
There are some quick tips you can use to better understand the importance of footnotes and to ensure you are using them properly:
- One should ensure that the format of the footnotes used is the one suggested by the professor.
- Also, the footnotes should be properly placed at the end of the page for easy identification.
- The footnotes should be used when necessary only as an identification of where the information has been derived.
- The version of the footnotes that should be used should be shortened to reduce the clutter on the paper.
- One should be careful about the track of the footnotes that he or she is going to use.